Secondary English teachers are invited to join us at this twilight CPD event shining a spotlight on a wealth of contemporary and historic Black British literature. With inspirational sessions from writers, academics, poets and education practitioners the evening will showcase a range of texts, approaches and practical resources you can embed in your classroom teaching. Tickets include refreshments and a free copy of the Out of Bounds classroom resource.
Keynote speakers include writer, researcher and educator S I Martin, specialist in Black British history and literature and author of Incomparable World, and Deirdre Osborne, co-founder of a world-first degree course in Black British Writing at Goldsmiths University of London and creator of Contemporary Black British Literature: A Guide for Edexcel English.
Workshop sessions, resource and project overviews will be delivered by:
- Joanna Brown, Education Programme Manager at the Royal African Society and a British Library Creative Educator who will be showcasing education projects run as part of the Africa Writes festival
- Kayo Chingonyi, whose latest book Kumukanda (Chatto & Windus, 2017) was a Guardian and Telegraph book of the year and won the Dylan Thomas Prize and a Somerset Maugham Award. Kayo has performed his work at festivals and events around the world, is Poetry Editor for The White Review, and an Assistant Professor of Creative Writing at Durham University
- Dr Gemma Robinson, Senior Lecturer at the University of Stirling who teaches Caribbean and Postcolonial writings and contemporary poetry. Gemma is editor of University of Hunger: Collected Poems and Selected Prose of Martin Carter (Bloodaxe) and a co-editor with Jackie Kay and James Procter of the poetry anthology, Out of Bounds: British Black and Asian Poets (Bloodaxe). Gemma and Kayo will be talking about their work on Out of Bounds
- 16:30 Arrival and registration
- 16:45 Welcome from British Library Learning
- 16:55 Opening keynote – S I Martin …an Affrican – with two ffs – if you please!
- 17:25 Project and resource overview with poetry reading: Out of Bounds Poetry Project – Gemma Robinson and Kayo Chingonyi
- 17:45 Refreshments
- 18:00 Workshop – Choice of 2 resource-focused sessions:
- Spotlight on British Library Learning Resources for Black British Literature (with Joanna Brown)
- Out of Bounds – Poetry, Place and Identity in the 21st Century (with Kayo Chingonyi and Gemma Robinson)
Date and Time
Fri, 28 June 2019
16:30 – 20:00
Harry M Weinrebe Learning Centre, British Library
96 Euston Road